Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joomla and webERP
12-08-2012, 08:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013, 09:29 AM by phil.)
RE: Joomla and webERP
Would it not be better to start with Mo's joomla cart as it s GPL?

A shopping cart is a very vulnerable piece of software and you have to keep on top of all the latest security vulnerabilities found. Using a joomla plugin they largely do this security for you.

12-09-2012, 12:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 12:52 PM by PakRicard.)
So, seems like we have 2 options:
1) Update and polish Mo's CART
PROS:
It's almost done. We just need to understand, polish and improve some details
Being a Joomla! component, we don't need to maintain a zillion presentation, security and maintenance details
CONS:
It is for Joomla! CMS only

2) Phil's OSCommerce version
PROS:
Will be usable at any CMS (via iframe should be usable, I guess. Need Phil's confirmation)
CONS:
It is ugly (Phil's own comment, and no one wants an ugly sales website)
It means more development and code to maintain, a some part of the code will not be supported by any CMS.

My experience with Mo's Cart skews my POV towards it. I prefer to improve Mo's CART than adapting a whole new thing into my website.

Joomla! is easy to maintain (even for me Big Grin) . The only problem I've found with Mo's Cart is the lack of support for some bugs and customization during this year. We can't wait forever for a solution from developer, so that's why I reactivated this thread.

I don't know how much percentage of Phil's OSC has been done, so I can't measure effort needed to get it up and running.

I can help much more if we are talking about fixing Mo's CART than OSC (due to experience of use).

Can I post the latest Mo's CART version somewhere (I mean, is it legal to do so)? Also some known bugs and details to improve can be available if someone with more technical neurons can team up.
Regards,
Pak Ricard
12-09-2012, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 06:02 PM by phil.)
OR do both?? Which seems the obvious option.

I am extremely keen to avoid a dependence on Joomla ... like really keen!! However, for those that like Joomla/CMSs go for it!

I think the popularity of OSC must mean that my ugly comment should perhaps have read - "less pretty" than some of the others - I particularly liked Open-Cart and this could also be done, but would not be easy to convert to webERP style code. My project has really only just begun ... and as I say it is just something I do when I get time - I rarely get much time - so it will be a long gestation.

Not sure if Mo frequents this forum - would be interested in his comments. Is he still active with webERP?

I am pretty sure Mo went GPL with his cart - not sure why you don't just dig in with what you have if it just needs a bit of polish?

Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
12-09-2012, 07:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM by PakRicard.)
(12-09-2012, 06:00 PM)phil Wrote: OR do both?? Which seems the obvious option.

Yes, it is probably the best option. Choosing one would allow us to get all resources in the same direction, but less people would be happy.

(12-09-2012, 06:00 PM)phil Wrote: I am pretty sure Mo went GPL with his cart - not sure why you don't just dig in with what you have if it just needs a bit of polish?

It's very easy. I'm not that smart and I'm short of time. Probably someone else is interested in getting this piece of software working and can team with us.

I'm open to help anyone so we can get Mo's Cart 100% working. I'm sure it won't take long (Bug list and improvement list are quite clear, at least in catalog mode), just fixing some details here and there, but we need someone willing to do it together.
Regards,
Pak Ricard
12-09-2012, 08:48 PM,
I am interested in the Joomla! connector.
And more specific: the catalog, card and payment methods.

Does webERP offers a Software Versioning and bug/request system?
Or is, for the CARTwebERP, GitHub or SourceForge a good option?

Phil, how do you Version, change and make your CMS code available right now? And is it private or public?
Is this also possible/the best for the CARTwebERP code?

Well, and maybe a name change to make the difference clear between the 'general CMS' and Joomla! connectors.
How does 'webERP CMS connector' and 'webERP Joomla! connector' sounds like?

Pak,
Please let me know what your preferences are.

Regards,
Patrick
12-09-2012, 09:52 PM,
(12-09-2012, 08:48 PM)pvz Wrote: Pak,
Please let me know what your preferences are.

Hi Patrick:

I prefer the Joomla! connector. Maintain a full cart can be a project itself, so Mo's cart is the best option available IMHO.

The idea behind Mo's cart is just great, but needs polishing. Being a Joomla! extension, so can use all the power of a leader CMS and all the power of webERP.

I'm afraid re-writting a full cart can be a huge task (at least for me) and can't wait that long to have a reliable cart.

Tim's preferences seem to be in Mo's cart as well, so we can start with this and see what we get.
Regards,
Pak Ricard
12-10-2012, 01:57 AM,
(12-10-2012, 01:12 AM)timschofield Wrote: I have established a repository here:
https://github.com/timschofield/JoomlaCart
Tim,

Thanks!

Pak Ricard, please add your bugs and requests to the GitHub.
Thanks.

Regards, Patrick
12-10-2012, 05:45 AM,
My project is only just beginning... I will release it once I have something to show. It is not a CMS just a shopping cart.
Phil Daintree
webERP Admin
Logic Works Ltd
http://www.logicworks.co.nz
12-10-2012, 02:21 PM,
(12-10-2012, 01:57 AM)pvz Wrote: Pak Ricard, please add your bugs and requests to the GitHub.
Thanks.

Regards, Patrick

First batch done.

I think we can start from here and I'll keep testing and reporting.
Thanks!
Regards,
Pak Ricard