Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting language is hell with windows
02-24-2014, 06:08 PM,
Setting language is hell with windows
Hey so I've been trying to use webERP with an XAMPP installation to no success, apparently locales don't work as expected. (I have users who use several different languages and are not very proficient in english so this is a must.)

I see a lot of issues with this in the forums and most answers are not particularly helpful to windows users.

So, to help out poor, lost windows users I will say the following:
WebERP and XAMPP = English Only
What I mean is,
1) If the language file already exists (you can see it from the user drop down)
2) If it doesn't exist (see other forum replies)
3) it must ALSO exist for your PHP installation, say XAMPP, WAMP (in linux, the OS)
4) gettext needs to be enabled if you need to edit the language files from the GUI (disabled by default on WAMP)

With XAMPP, apparently, you can't even really do much with gettext, setlocale etc. since windows interprets everything differently
(see this stackoverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33981...t-problems) although the solutions there don't seem to work

it just happens to work on linux if you do the setup and WAMP can work okay but gettext needs to be enabled (especially since so many translations are only partially complete). So I did get this working with WAMP but will have to figure it out for XAMPP soon enough.

I tried tinkering with LanguageSetup.php but while respecting the current way of doing things I can't seem to get it working for XAMPP on windows.

(why exactly are you relying on locales from PHP or the OS anyways?)
02-24-2014, 08:08 PM,
RE: Setting language is hell with windows
I don't use windows, and haven't done for a very long time, but was talking recently to a German user of webERP whose translations had stopped working after an upgrade of XAMPP on windows 8. He told me he got it working by reverting to PHP 5.4.22. Not sure how much help that is to you, but he has been using webERP for man years and translating it into German, so he understands this better than me.

However I don't think he monitors this forum, but apparently he found a related bug under grokbase.com.
02-08-2016, 11:43 PM,
I am using XAMPP 3.2.2 on spanish windows 10 x64. I have the same problem. I can not change the language to spanish. Please, have you find any solution ?
02-08-2016, 11:58 PM,
I don't know anything about Windows, but the first thing I would check is that the php-gettext extension is installed in your XAMPP configuration. I do vaguely remember reading about a problem with gettext on XAMPP so it might be worth trying the XAMPP forums to see if that was fixed.

Thanks
Tim